Material tests form an essential part of a quality control program and are essential for validation of material and/or structural models. ALE is specialized in tests on fibre reinforced plastics, but can also offer tests on other materials.
Testing of bulk materials or the laminates you produce can provide the information required to consistently produce high quality products. Improved customer confidence and efficient troubleshooting can be further benefits of implementing a well-structured quality control system.
ALE is one of the few companies in the Netherlands that has experience in testing composite materials. We can help you with:
- Implementing your own quality control system (if you don’t already have one)
- Development of detailed material models
- Development of detailed validated (Finite Element) models of the complete test set-up
Some of your clients may require approval by a classification society such as ABS, DNV or Lloyds Register. The society will normally require materials testing to be carried out on a calibrated testing facility. We have experience in dealing with these societies.
ALE can prepare test specimens from test panels or material samples that you provide. Alternatively we can provide advice to those who wish to prepare their own samples.
ALE offers a broad range of tests for fibre reinforced plastics. A number of these tests are carried out in-house and others are done at facilities of partners such as Delft University of Technology.
A selection of the tests which we can offer:
- Tensile tests and compression (ASTM D3039 / ASTM D695): range: 10kN – 1000kN
- Three-point and four-point bending (ASTM D790 / ASTM C393 / ASTM D2344 / ISO 15114)
- Fiber content (ASTM D2584)
- Void content (ASTM D2734)
- Glass transition temperature (ASTM D3418)
- Hardness measurement (polymers and metals)
- Climate tests
- Extreme temperature
- Electron microscopy
- Microscopy or non-destructive testing of e.g. laminates through a C-scan
- Cut resistance testing of rubber materials based on ASTM F1790 / ISO 13997 / EN 388
On request, any test can be executed according to customer requirements. For information regarding these, or other tests, please contact us directly.
ALE will deliver a comprehensive report that conforms to the applicable test standard with each series of tests. This implies that not only the test results are provided but most important: the interpretation.
The report typically includes a detailed description of the test procedure, graphic and numerical results, calculations of material properties and a discussion of the failure modes with accompanying photographs.